While many people choose their jewellery based on preference alone, there is a lot more to choosing the right accessories than most people are aware of. Your skin tone and your face shape play a big role in the jewellery styles that flatter you. Choosing the wrong metal types and gem colours can make your skin and the jewellery look dull and lacklustre, while jewellery that doesn’t suit your face shape can distort the shape of your face and hide your best features.
At Marlow’s Diamonds, we’re here to help you pick out the perfect jewellery. We will help you find your skin tone, measure your face and choose the right jewellery to match, and with this information, you will be better equipped to choose the right engagement rings, earrings and necklaces to accentuate your best features.
Learn your skin tone
The first thing that you need to know is that skin tone is not the same as skin colour. While there are possibly thousands of different skin colours ranging from light to dark, skin tone determines the undertones of your skin and whether they are cool or warm. You can have many different variations of skin colour and tone that can make it difficult to find jewellery that matches your skin tone, which is why we are here to help.
If you want to get a good look at your skin tone, then you need to study it in natural light. Start by looking at your wrist or areas where you can see the colour of your veins. If the colour of your veins looks more blue or purple, then you probably have a cool skin tone, whereas if your veins look closer to green, then your skin tone is warm. However, if you notice that you have both purple and green veins then you have a neutral skin tone.
Matching metals to your skin tone
Now that you have a better idea of what your skin tone is, you can start picking out the right metals to compliment it. If the metal doesn’t match your skin tone, it can make your skin look dull or it might stand out a bit too much.
If you have a neutral skin tone, you don’t have to worry too much about choosing the wrong colours because most jewellery will match you. However, you may have hidden cool or warm tones that are too subtle for you to see, so you should test out which metals look best by holding them against your skin and taking a good look at them.
For cool skin tones, choose light or white metals, like silver, platinum or white gold. People with warmer skin tones should then choose metals with warmer colours to make the colours in their skin look more vibrant, like yellow gold, rose gold, copper or brass.
Choosing the right gems
After you have found the right metals, it’s time to pick the gems to match. The great thing about gems is that there are so many different colours to choose from, so you have a good chance of picking a colour that both matches your skin tone and matches your style. Red rubies, blue sapphires, and purple amethysts are better choices for a cool skin tone while yellow quartzes, brown jaspers and orange opals match a warm skin tone.
Learn your face shape
If you’re looking to buy a pair of earrings or a necklace, then you should take into consideration the shape of your face when making your choice. To find out your face shape, grab a tape measure and tie your hair back:
- Start by measuring your hairline. Place the end of the tape measure on your temple and note down the length across to your other temple.
- To measure your cheekbones, place the tape measure on the top of one cheek bone and the other end on the top of your other cheekbone.
- Do the same to measure your jawline and place the measure from the left edge of your jaw bone to the right edge.
- Finally, measure the vertical length of your face, starting from the top of your forehead and ending at the bottom of your chin.
Now that you have all of your measurements, you can figure out your face shape.
- Round face: all of the measurements are similar
- Oval face: the vertical length of your face is more than any of your other measurements i.e. the width of your face.
- Square face: your jawline and your hairline are the same length.
- Heart shaped face: you have a wide forehead and temples, but your chin is narrow.
- Diamond shaped face: your cheekbone measurement is more than your forehead and jawline.
Matching Jewellery to your face shape
By now, you know most of what you need to know to pick out the perfect jewellery and all that’s left is to pick the right styles.
- If you have a round face, choose styles that might elongate your face, such as long necklaces and earrings, or you can offset the roundness of your face with rectangular or trapezoid earrings. You can go for bolder, more angular jewellery styles too, especially when choosing necklaces to make your cheek bones look sharper.
- If you have an oval face, you’re very lucky! Almost any kind of jewellery will look good on you. Congrats! Of course, you can choose jewellery styles and gem shapes to accentuate your best features; round jewellery softens your face and angular jewellery makes your features pop.
- If you have a square face, you should choose jewellery that will soften your jawline or draw attention elsewhere. Necklaces or pendants with trinkets and gems that hang down and stand out will draw the eyes downward over your jaw and softly rounded jewellery shapes will deflect any harsh angles.
- If you have a heart shaped face, you can make your forehead look narrower by wearing dangling earrings that hang at chin length with bold designs that call attention. Chokers and short length necklaces should also be your go-to and look especially great on a long neck.
- If you have a diamond shaped face, you can add width to your chin in the same way as someone with a heart shaped face. Choose short necklaces and long, fuller earrings that hang at chin length.
Now that you have the information you need to choose your perfect jewellery, you can buy with confidence. At Marlow’s Diamonds, we have jewellery for every face shape and skin tone and are happy to help you choose the accessories that are right for you. So, stop by our shop for professional guidance from our experts and choose accessories that will last you a life time.